Friday, September 08, 2006

More On Knees, Please

Here's part of an email I got a few days ago from a Daily Yoga Tip reader in Maryland:
ps. Blessings for you speedy recovery for your surgery.
pps. With your experience. what poses do you think are most harmful to knees?
You've gotta love someone who gets right to the heart of it, don't you?

Without question, lotus pose, padmasana, is the pose most harmful to the knees, if you attempt to practice it regularly.

Lotus pose, and those that are similar to it, require open hips, specifically that the femurs rotate externally (laterally) in the hip sockets.

Because they practice it all the time, ballerinas are really good and lateral rotation of the femurs.

The thighs are hard to grab when you attempt to manually turn the thigh bones in the lotus pose.

So, by hook or by crook we grab the feet and lower legs and we wrestle with them until we pull ourselves mercilessly into the pose.

Then, we attempt to look cool and calm as we sit and pretend to meditate. Ouch.

This is not the recipe for samadhi. It's a recipe for overstretched lateral collateral ligaments and the surgery that follows.

Roger Cole wrote an article published in Yoga Journal that I can't recommend enough. You can find it here. But you may have to register with the Yoga Journal site to view it. Be sure you click on the graphics to see the large and up-close view of a strained lateral collateral ligament and the crushed medial mesicus that goes with it.

Here's a big BUT: I see bunches of students every week who never try padmasana. They don't even think about it. So...they can't hurt their knees with a pose they don't do.

There is a pose they do all they time that could cause a different sort of damage.

I'll write about it next time.

Don't just read about it. Get up. Experience it. Experience yoga!

Kevin Perry
www.ExperienceYoga.org

p.s., The Sanskrit Word of the Day from my previous Daily Yoga Tip was ananda. Ananda means bliss. I think some of the anesthesia medicine I was given during my surgery Wednesday really plugged into my bliss receptors! I haven't been in such a good mood in a long time!

p.p.s., Today's Sanskrit Word of the Day is kona. I'll tell you what it means next time.

p.p.p.s., I wrote about knees and poses that are related to padmasana back in June, 2005. The Daily Yoga Tip is called "Wild Fire, Burning Desire." You can read it here.

p.p.p.p.s., Our Experience Paradise yoga vacation in Yelapa, Mexico is coming up in February, 2007. Watch for more details in future Daily Yoga Tips.

Copyright 2006. All rights reserved, Mo Yoga LLC.
Kevin Perry
Mo Yoga LLC
1305 Elmerine Ave
Jefferson City, MO 65101

(573) 680-6737

3 Comments:

Anonymous Edegra said...

ya i like it . keep it up. Edegra

12:30 AM  
Blogger Emy Watson said...

Need motivation to exercise?
Fitness and Six Pack Abs

10:26 AM  
Blogger Hannibal Melquart said...

I find something in herbal medicine good to share on here with anyone suffering from the disease such as HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis or Chronic Lyme Disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicitySyndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
Dementia.
Lupus as well.Dr Itua herbal made cure my HIV and gave me hope that he can cure all types of diseases I believed him) I do the best of myself that I can do, I went for a program in west Africa about fashion on another side I was HIV positive. I walk through a nearby village for our program schedule then I found a signage notice that says Dr Itua Herbal Center then I asked my colleagues what all about this very man called Dr Itua, She told me that he's a herbal doctor and he can cure all kind of disease i walked to him and explain myself to him as I'm a strangler out there he prepared me herbal medicine and told me how to drink it for two weeks, when I get to my hotel room I take a look at it then says a prayer before I drank it not knowing after two weeks I went to test and I found out I was negative I ran to him to pay him more but he refuses and says I should share his works for me around the globe so sick people can see as well. I'm writing a lot about him this season so that is how I was cured by drinking Dr Itua herbal medicine, He's A caring man with a godly heart. Well - everything I decided all went through for me and how you're going to treat this new aspect to your life. You don't have to suffer alone, and it's okay to ask for help. It also doesn't have to be a constant demon, as you'll get to know your body and yourself in a much deeper way than most people. Take advantage of this, as it will help you appreciate Africa Herbal Made.
Dr Itua Contact Information.
Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Whatsapp Number....+2348149277967

12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home