Saturday, July 16, 2005

The Magic of Yoga: Are You A Muggle?

Just in case you've been living under a rock, JK Rowling's 6th book in the Harry Potter series came out this morning at 12:01 am. It's called Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.



I have been living under a rock. (I could explain that but it would take more time than it's worth.) Therefore, I know this fact only because my daughter, Richelle, text messaged me yesterday from her vacation in Washington, DC to ask me if I would go to the book store at midnight and grab one up for her.

Why would she ask me to do this for her, you ask? Well...I did it once before. And, well, it was fun.

But not last night. I was in bed at midnight, dreaming of...Harry Potter, of course.

You see, the Harry Potter story is all about magic. Do you believe in magic?

It seems like such a silly question to ask and a silly topic for a Daily Yoga Tip.

But I think it matters because I teach yoga. I am a teacher.

One thing I know from spending lots of time in the yoga rooms is this: some people don't want to be taught. They already know what they need to know to make it through life just fine, thank you. "If you want to help me get a good workout, great. But I'm not here to learn."

They're Muggles.

In the Harry Potter books, people who are unaware of the all of magic going on around them are called Muggles.

Someone has defined Muggles like this:
"Muggles" are non-magical people in the parlance of the Wizarding World. Muggles are for the most part oblivious to the entire society of magical people which exists alongside their own. Part of the reason for this is that Muggles simply don't believe that magic exists, which means they find non-magical reasons for the things that happen to them.
I love this story called "A Cup of Tea" from Zen Flesh, Zen Bones:
Nan-in, a Japanese master...received a university
professor who came to inquire about Zen.

Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's
cup full, and then kept pouring.

The professor watched the overflow until
he no longer could restrain himself. "It's
overfull. No more will go in!"

"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full
of your own opinions and speculations.
How can I show you Zen unless you
first empty your cup?"



Like the professor, some people I meet are full. They walk right up to yoga. They take a look at it. They see nothing magical at all.

When I look at yoga, I see miracles. I see things happening I didn't think could happen.

It's my 'job' as a yoga teacher to help students catch a vision for what's possible, even though they can't see it right now. It's part of my calling to inspire you and motivate so that you'll practice yoga long enough to experience your own magic.

So I am asking you today, "Are you a Muggle?" Have you slid into the comfy chair of having your whole world wrapped up in a tidy package of comforting explanations?

Find a teacher today. It might even be your child. Experience something new. Learn something new. Anything.

Don't just read about it. Get up. Experience it. Experience yoga!

Kevin Perry
www.ExperienceYoga.org

p.s., Experience the magic of paradise. When I'm on vacation I am out of the habits of every day life. I can see my whole life from a fresh perspective. As I write this now I can recall coming back from two recent vacations and, as a result of a new view I gained, I made major changes in my life. As you plan for the rest of your summer, consider looking even farther forward to 2006. Sallie Keeney and I will be hosting a group of yogis at Hotel Lagunita in Yelapa Mexico, February 18-25. Yoga, vacationing, foreign travel and incredible natural beauty are a combination that are unmatched. Find out more at http://experienceyoga.org/vacations.asp.

Copyright 2005. All rights reserved, Mo Yoga LLC.