Monday, August 22, 2005

Practice Teaching, by Heart

Yesterday I wrote about doing yoga "by heart."

I also mentioned singing in the choir and how great it is to learn a song "by heart."

Here's an email I received today from a regular Daily Yoga Tip reader. It's so great, I could not wait to pass it on to you!
First of all, like you, I love to sing and had not sung very often with a group until a year ago. I joined the Choral Society and am really enjoying it. Since I could not sight read, I always had to lean on the guy next to me and my memory.

Recently, I decided to learn sight reading at the tender age of 65. I have been taking voice lessons for 3 months and I am slowly starting to get it. The main thing is that, when I am singing, I am having FUN!

I started taking yoga a year and a half ago. For the first several months, I could not do the poses at home because I could not remember them. Eventually, I could remember them and then I started pretending at home that I was teaching yoga. This caused me to think of each movement within the pose and then I was able to commit the poses to my heart memory.

As I write this email to you, my spirit just nudged me with a thought. The aha thought was: why don't I pretend that I am teaching sight reading while I practice it? I can't wait to try it.

Kevin, thanks for the inspiration. See yah, JC
This is fantastic. Thanks, JC for the valuable nugget. I really hope I am an inspiration. You've inspired me today with your message.

For those of you who need the Reader's Digest version, here's what you should do if you want to learn yoga by heart:
1. Have fun!
2. When you practice at home, pretend you are teaching.

These are two incredible tips.
I've done them both and I cannot reccommend them enough.

Don't just read about it. Get up. Experience it. Experience yoga!

Kevin Perry
www.ExperienceYoga.org

p.s., You'll experience both of these tips when you participate in the Experience Sanskrit workshop. We always have fun. Doesn't it strike you as odd? "Sanskrit" and "fun" go together? Yes! They do!

And we'll practice teach, too. We always help you learn the "story behind the pose." Once you learn the story, it's hard to forget the name. One way to remember the story is to teach it to a friend. We'll do just that.

Experience Sanskrit, an experience-based workshop. In four hours you'll experience just what you need to make dozens of yoga pose names unforgettable, in Sanskrit.

We just added a new date at alleyCat yoga in Columbia, Missouri. We'll be there October 15th, 12:30 to 4:30 pm. Tuition is $50. Register now.

The Experience Sanskrit workshop will also be held on Saturday, November 5th at Surya Center for Yoga in Coppell, TX. Tuition is $50 for the 4-hour workshop. And you get a 100-page course manual to use and take home. It's included free with your enrollment.

Want to know more about the Experience Sanskrit workshop? Want to bring the Experience Sanskrit to your yoga studio? See www.ExperienceYoga.org . Then email me at info@experienceyoga.org. We'll set a date and we'll be at your place before you know it.

p.s.s., We're working right now to set Experience Sanskrit workshop dates in Maryland and Illinois. Keep watching for news about a workshop near you.

All rights reserved, Mo Yoga LLC.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home