Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Throw Cold Water on Fatigue

I woke up in Kansas City today. And yesterday, too.

It's really no big deal, but usually I wake up in Jefferson City.

This morning I'm thinking about when I've been outside in the hot sun. Working or walking or whatever I'm doing. After a few hours on my feet moving around in the heat of the day sweating, I start looking for shade and relief.

This reminds me of a few years ago when we went to Disney World. Guess what we did at the end of the day when we got back to the room? We jumped in the swimming pool.

After 5 minutes in the cold water of the pool I was refreshed and energized. The fatigue and lethargy vaporized.

That's my tip for today. If you're feeling droopy, listless, and in need of energy, TAKE A COLD SHOWER or if, you're lucky, jump in the pool for a swim.

Cold Shower!? Yes!

It really works. And it's great for your immune system. When you feel like you're getting a cold, start taking cold baths several times a day.

Showering in cold water strengthens your nervous system, too.

I've been talking to students in my Saturday morning class about how sometimes we can't hold a yoga pose because it's very intense. As I've practiced yoga, my nervous system has gotten stronger; I can handle nervous intensity longer. Cold showers boost your nervous system, too.

Which brings me back to where I started. I woke up in Kansas City today. And there was no hot water in my hotel room. So I took my first cold shower in almost a year. It was intense. But I feel great.

Don't let fatigue stop you from doing what you want to do (practice yoga). Jump in a cold shower, get refresehed, and do what's right.

Don't just read about it. Get up. Experience it. Experience yoga!

Kevin Perry
http://www.experienceyoga.org/

p.s., On Saturday mornings I teach at alleyCat Yoga in Columbia, MO.

Copyright 2005. All rights reserved by Mo Yoga LLC.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home