Friday, December 09, 2005

More On Jala Neti

The comments keep coming in about the yogic practice of using the neti pot to rinse your sinuses.

Thank you to all of you who have emailed me with your comments, experiences, and testimonials.

My friend Diana reminded me of two important benefits of jala neti. She said she and her husband never get sinus headaches anymore, now that they neti regularly. And if you (or the person you sleep near) uses a neti pot before bed, snoring is reduced or eliminated.

How about that for a great tip?

I told you all recently that I never use tap water in my neti pot because the chlorine is a major irritant. A reader named Don wrote that he zaps his tap water in the microwave oven. That drives off the chlorine. When it cools down to body temperature, he's ready to go.

When I travel and don't have filtered water, I use the in-room coffee maker in the hotel the same way. I heat up tap water (no filter, no coffee grounds) in the coffee maker. Then there's no chorine irritation at all.

Beth, an Integrative Nurse Practitioner, wrote me to say that she recommends jala neti to her patients. She said it really helps. She asked me to pass on to you a recommendation to thoroughly rinse out your neti pot when you're done. You don't want to recontaminate your sinuses with the stuff you washed out the previous go-around. Great advice.

If you're new to my Daily Yoga Tip and you don't have any idea what I'm talking about, go back and read my last two Daily Yoga Tips at
http://experienceyoga.blogspot.com/2005/12/no-tap-water-no-iodized-salt.html and
http://experienceyoga.blogspot.com/2005/12/jala-neti-keeps-you-clean-and-ready-to.html

Don't just read about it. Get up. Experience it. Experience yoga!

Kevin Perry
www.ExperienceYoga.org

p.s., I promised you a while back that I'd write about the phrase "neti, neti." These words are an attempt to show that any expression or conception of the Divine is inadequate. They can't capture the essence of God. So, no matter what you think of or see or imagine or compare to, God is "not that." "Not that" is the literal English translation of neti. Here's what one author says about neti, neti:
The most outrageous fantasies pale beside Him. In truth I don't know what He is. No one can fathom Him. No words successfully describe Him. Words by their nature limit. He in every aspect is limitless. Yet I feel an urgency to share Him with those open to God, to tell those who have been seeking God, searching for reality, peace, liberation, Truth in its highest form, of his presence in mortal form and of His message of Truth, Simplicity and Love and the constant remembrance of God's name.

p.p.s., I still have refrigerator magnets in stock. I mentioned them in my last DailyYoga Tip. Email me at info@experienceyoga.org with your mailing address and your phone number. I'll call you. We'll get these out to you in time for Christmas gift giving. Also, I've been on the road the last three days, first Springfield, MO then Kansas City. So those of you whom I haven't called yet, don't worry. I'll call you Saturday!

p.p.p.s. Our orange I DO YOGA silicone wristbands make great stocking stuffers for your yoga friends, too. Order them at http://store.yahoo.com/yhst-13837176072520/idoyogaband.html

Copyright 2005. All rights reserved, Mo Yoga LLC.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home