Thursday, March 02, 2006

Travel Neti

Today, I pack. That's right. I'm gathering the stuff a traveling yoga teacher uses and, hoping I've forgotten nothing, zipping it into my two-wheeled travel bag for tomorrow's trip to Annapolis, Maryland.

Saturday afternoon, Sallie Keeney and I will be teaching the Experience Sanskrit workshop at Golden Heart Yoga Center. It's sold out to capacity. We're expecting a great crowd. It's exciting.

We're thrilled about meeting new students and getting reaquainted with old friends from the mid-Atlantic region.

We're so grateful to Lynn Matthews and Jenny Otto, owners at Golden Heart Yoga, who have prepared the way for us in such an excellent fashion! Wow!

But this time is also a bit frightening. For instance, I might forget to pack the clothes I wear when I teach. That's a bummer.

From time to time, I forget to pack my neti pot. No big deal, you say?

Well, you're right. It's not too big.

But for me, it's about the same as forgetting my tooth brush or shampoo, essentials I need for basic hygeine. I don't want to go out and teach a workshop, or much else for that matter, with dirty hair or teeth that haven't been brushed.

When I'm without my neti pot, I don't feel quite right.

(If you don't know the benefits of the yogic practice of jala neti, you may want to read the Daily Yoga Tips I've offered before here and here.)

If I forget my tooth brush or shampoo, I just pick up replacements at the corner convenience store. But if I forget my neti pot, well, I'm in a jam...

...until a few weeks ago. I was in Texas. I discovered that when I order an Americano at Starbucks it's so hot it comes in two paper cups.

I finished my coffee (Speaking of finishing my coffee...I gave up coffee for Lent. More on that later. Mmmmm...green tea.). I rinsed out the white plastic lid, you know, the one with the little hole through which you sip.

Then I filled the clean paper cup with warm water and a pinch of salt. I put on the clean lid, tilted my head and, voila, travel neti. Neti without a neti pot.

That little hole on the lid works perfectly.

I'd be kidding you if I told you that none of the warm water ran down the side of my cheek. It did. But with a little practice, I had an excellent neti experience and a clean, fresh upper respiratory system.

Now you can too, even if you are your neti pot are miles away from each other.

The really big benefit of making this discovery is this: packing isn't so stressful! If I forget my neti pot, everyone knows there's a Starbucks everywhere!

(A note to beginners: get real good at using a regular neti pot before you try this somewhat silly, but useful, stunt. For Shiva's sake, don't start with a Starbuck's coffee cup!)

Don't just read about it. Get up. Experience it. Experience yoga!

Kevin Perry
www.ExperienceYoga.org

p.s., The Sanskrit word of the day from my last Daily Yoga Tip was vrischika. Vrischika means scorpion, as in vrischikasana, scorpion pose. Look at my last Daily Yoga Tip for a picture of the pose.

I didn't see a scorpion in Mexico. But my student Mary did! I'll try to get her to send us the picture she took. Until then, you can look at the one I've posted here. Enjoy!

Speaking of packing, I'm glad that when I packed my bags in Mexico one of these critters didn't hop a ride home with me...at least as far as I know. It sure would be a surprise to discover him when I unpack in Annapolis!

p.p.s., Today's Sanskrit word of the day is garuda. I'll tell you what it means next time. Here's a clue. Tomorrow I'm flying on US Air from Missouri to Maryland. There's an Indonesian airline named after Garuda.

p.p.p.s, Here's a note I received from Kelli Austin today. Kelli is the Director of Sunshine Yoga at Chiro Studio in Kansas City. She hosted the Experience Sanskrit workshop at Sunshine Yoga a few weeks ago.

We did a little chanting at that workshop and you'll notice she talks about the acoustics in her yoga room. It made for a very energetically vibrant beginning to the workshop. That positive energy continued throughout the day. Here's what she had to say:
Hi Kevin! I want you to know that I continue to get rave reviews about you and Sallie's workshop. In fact, I got a call this morning from a woman who wants to come to Shantala because she said the acoustics at Sunshine Yoga were so amazing. And the first time she visited us was for your workshop. She said that when we chanted together it brought tears to her eyes. So thank you again for everything.

I also want to make sure that you and Sallie remember that Shantala will be at Sunshine Yoga on Friday, March 17th (St. Patrick's Day). We will have early registration at 6:30 pm and will be serving a light, vegan meal. I would love to see both of you again and so would many of your students. For more information about Shantala, see the website at www.sunshineyoga.us.

Have a beautiful, sunshiney day! Kelli Austin
If you don't know about the music and kirtan of Benjy and Heather Wertheimer, this is a great opportunity to find out. You won't be disappointed. And you certainly won't be disappointed by the venue!

Even though we can't be with Kelli and our friends in KC that night, we'll be in St. Louis the following day for our Experience Sanskrit workshop at Jane's House in St. Charles.

We're sticking around afterwards because Benjy and Heather are providing another evening of kirtan in Webster Groves. Please contact JennTara at jenntara@yahoo.com if you'd like to be there, too! We can't wait!

Copyright 2006.
All rights reserved, Mo Yoga LLC.
Kevin Perry
Mo Yoga LLC
905 Eastland Plaza Suite B, #106
Jefferson City, MO 65101
(573) 680-6737

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home