Sunday, March 26, 2006

Too Fast, or Weak?

Today while practicing sun salutations, surya namaskar, I felt light-headed.

Every time I came up from the standing forward bend to mountain pose with my arms overhead, I felt like I was going to tip over and crash to the ground. (I didn't.)

Do you ever feel dizzy when you come up out of a standing forward bend?

Usually, I think it's because I'm coming up too fast.

So as I continued on with my sun salutations I tried a couple experiments, tips that usually work when the situation isn't so steady.

On my way up one time I really focused on my breath and took a continuous, full and steady inhalation as I gradually came up out of uttanasana. It didn't work. Still fuzzy.

The next time up I focused on muscular energy in the legs. I really hugged the muscles of my legs on to the bones as once again I came up in a slow steady fashion. No luck. I was still rickety.

Guess what I did next?

I stopped doing sun salutations and went over to the wall for a long round of viparita karani.

I put my legs up on the wall and rested for about 15 minutes.

Why? I came to the conclusion that I wasn't coming up out of uttansana too quickly. I decided that I was weak. So I rested.

Sometimes what you need is not a vigorous yoga practice, but one that restores the energy you need to function optimally.

Don't just read about it. Get up. Experience it. Experience yoga!

Kevin Perry
www.ExperienceYoga.org

p.s., The Sanskrit word of the day from my last Daily Yoga Tip was vajra. Vajra means thunderbolt, as in vajrasana, thunderbolt pose.

p.p.s., Today's Sanskrit word of the day is uttana. I'll tell you what it means next time.

p.p.p.s, Don't miss the Experience Sanskrit workshop coming up in Downers Grove, IL on Saturday, April 8. You can register here. Don't delay. We've been selling out lately. You won't want to miss it.

p.p.p.p.s., We just added an Experience Sanskrit workshop date in Kirkwood (St. Louis), Missouri on Saturday, May 6 at a beautiful new center, Masterpeace Studios. It's an incredibly beautiful space. And the work they're doing there with children of all ages is amazing.

Check out Meg's web page at http://masterpeacestudios.org/. Masterpeace Studios is a non-profit organization. I hope you'll consider contacting them and making a tax-deductible donation.

You can register for the Experience Sanskrit workshop at Masterpeace Studios here. It begins at 9:00 am and ends at 1:00 pm.

We'll also be conducting the Experience Neti Flow workshop at Masterpeace Studios on May 6 at 3:00 pm. Tuition is $30. You can register here.

p.p.p.p.p.s., Some of you have contacted me with your experessions of concern that I haven't posted a Daily Yoga Tip in two weeks. It's a long time, I know. This an instance in which I've been moving too fast and I've been weak because of it. More tips are on the way.

p.p.p.p.p.p.s., If you've read this far you deserve a real prize. I hope this is worth it: It's March 26, 2006. We are just eight days away from April 3. Why should that matter?

Well...one year ago, on April 3, I posted my very first Daily Yoga Tip. That's right. We're coming up on our 1st Anniversary! Woo hoo!

It's been an amazing year. I've heard from so many of you. I REALLY appreciate your comments, questions, and support.

It's been a blast. I love doing this. I hope you love it, too. Keep me in your prayers as I keep going.

If you'd like to read the very first Daily Yoga Tip I wrote, it's called Get Upside-Down, Give Your Heart a Break, & Boost Immunity Too. Read it here.

Copyright 2006.
All rights reserved, Mo Yoga LLC.
Kevin Perry
Mo Yoga LLC
905 Eastland Plaza Suite B, #106
Jefferson City, MO 65101
(573) 680-6737


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home